Sunday, April 19, 2009

Cutting - 3 weeks old

Well, the little cutting, which I have now named the "Blog Baby" has been in the rooting medium for three weeks, and we are half way to the next stage! It is still looking green and healthy and all systems are set to "GO". In the next two or three weeks it should have developed sufficient root to be planted up into our growing medium, so it's about time to make sure that all the required ingredients are to hand.

It will need a small pot - I use the 7cm square pots because I can pack plenty into the available space, but anything up to about 10cm will do.

Then, something to fill the pot with! There are probably as many recipes for soil mixes as there are fuchsia growers, but this is what I do!

Mix:
1 part potting soil
2 parts compost (not mushroom!)
.5 part well rotted kraal manure
.5 part vermiculite (light weight) or river sand (heavier)
A handful of bone meal
Superphosphate as per manufacturer's instruction

Mix all together well and store in a water tight container for a couple of weeks before use.

I've used this basic mix for years and had very good results with it!

While I'm out shopping for supplies I will also make sure to get in a stock of Seagrow, which is the only food I give to my babies for the first couple of weeks after potting up.

The weather today is cool and damp - perfect fuchsia slipping conditions! - so I'm heading out there to take take plenty of cuttings!

Have a great Sunday whatever you are going to be doing!

No comments: